Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

You know... there's nothing better to do...

So, we decided to put in new countertops in the kitchen. I guess we don't feel normal without some big project going on. We decided to start with the counter over by the fridge. It's just a straight cabinet with no corners or anything. So, we got it cut last night and today I installed boards to raise the countertop so it would clear the drawers. Then Mike started the task of getting it flush to the wall. We have this major dip in our wall behind that counter that is about a quarter inch deep. It's amazing how bowed in the wall is there. But, we followed the online instructions and Mike used our new belt sander and the countertop is now snugly fit up against the wall and looks great. He did an a amazing job of it. All without my help, too. I think throwing Cole around in the pool yesterday was a bit much for me. (Big surprise.)

So, tomorrow, we will get the ends on the counter and get it screwed into place. Then we will take a deep breath and try the corner counter with the sink. Yikes!

We are going to put a wood/butcher block countertop on the island. IKEA sells one that we like. I'm not 100% sure which color I want to use. It's between the birch and the beech. I wish I could test them out to see which one I think looks better. Oh well. I'll just have to do the best I can. We're going to wait, though, for the island countertop swap since the mixer is installed there. We're not sure what we'll do with the mixer. Mike had talked about building a wooden box for it to sit in so we wouldn't have to reinstall it anywhere else. I've considered getting a little cart, installing it in that, then we could store it's parts inside... We'll see what we end up doing.

And I'll post pictures once the non-island countertops are all in.

No comments: