Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Chocolat - The book

I just finished reading Chocolat. I love, love the movie, so I thought I'd try the book. I am amazed at how different the two are. Not that the characters and much of the story isn't similar, but much of the time, I felt like I was reading a different story than the one I saw on screen.

One of the things I really liked was getting to know the characters so much better. I appreciated having background and more time with the characters. I liked Armande's character much more in the book. She was more real, I suppose.

I didn't like a couple of parts. Namely, the ending. :) While it wasn't disappointing, it was a bit confusing and I felt it was somewhat inconclusive. I know there is a sequel that came out recently, so I guess I'll have to seek that out. But my understanding of that, from an interview I heard with the author, is it's more of Anouk's story than Vianne's. I guess I'll have to read it to find out.

But, overall, I really enjoyed it. I appreciate the screen writers for adapting it into a wonderful, yet different story. Perhaps more "Hollywood" and thus maybe why I like it a tad more than the book... at least the ending.

No comments: