Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Forced into Self Sufficiency

Our neighbor, Dennis, is no where to be found today! :)

Fortunately, the layout of the tile is about 95 percent straight cuts, so Mike is going out to buy a tile splitter for those and a tile nipper for the four non-straight cuts we need to make. Fortunately two of those cuts are for the toilet flange, so they do not have to be overly pretty. The other two will be a little tricky, but I'm confident we will do fine.

And given that we are going to tile our kitchen in about a month, we should probably own the little tile splitter anyway. So, in a few minutes, we will be mortaring and tiling our little hearts out. The layout looks really good. The tile color is really nice, and it's all coming along beautifully.

So far we have about $420 in the project. The tools will take it up close to $500. Really cheap for a new tiled bathroom, I'd say. One of the reasons I decided to do the tile (besides the fact that it's a good floor that increases the value of your home) is because the price of linoleum is outrageous. I wouldn't try to lay linoleum on my own, and when I had Home Depot price our floors with middle grade linoleum, it was going to be $3000 for the two bathrooms and the kitchen. The tiling is going to cost me almost half of that. Seems like a no brainer! :)

No comments: