Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

Football Tryouts - Part 2

Reid made the first cut. He made the first cut last year, too. 15 more kids will get cut next week in the final cut. Last year I was watching a little bit of each practice and had a good idea that Reid wouldn't make the team. This year I haven't seen anything that's been going on, so I have no idea how it's going for him. I know he's a heck of a lot bigger than he was last year. And we had a talk about what it means to "hussle". I don't think he could grasp that concept last year. It's amazing how much kids develop over the course of a year.

Like with homework. Reid comes home from practice, pulls out his homework and gets to work. No prodding, no fussing, he just does it. I saw him doing that yesterday while I was finishing up dinner and cleaning in the kitchen and just about wanted to cry. It is such a beautiful thing. And then he packs it all up, hangs up his backpack and goes out to talk to his friend who did get cut yesterday.

I told Mike that when I see Reid all growing up and getting more and more mature, I almost explode with love. :) I dropped by his school the other day to give him some extra water for his practice that afternoon. And seeing him walk down the hall and then having him thank me so sincerely, I wondered why I ever thought I wanted to have a girl. I'd just take another Reid if I could. :) Okay... I wouldn't trade my girl now that I have her (almost), but that's the thought that went through my head at the time.

So has this been "my kid's so great" enough for you. :)

No comments: