Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2009

New Experience

I've known for a long time that no matter how many kids I have, I'll always feel like a bit of a first timer. All my kids are so different. And recently I've been proven right all over again.

It's been clear for a while now that Kira likes to nurse. A few months ago, when she started walking and becoming a little more independent, she would, at times during the day, stop and just cry and cry at my feet. She wanted to nurse. The boys never really cared. She nurses a lot more frequently during the day than they ever did at this age. The two boys that I was still nursing at 12 months were down to twice a day. Naptime and bedtime. And by 14 or 15 months, I decided it was time to stop, so I stopped. No big deal. They didn't care.

Not so for Kira. Yesterday she was fussing, so I picked her up and she started banging her head against my chest. Then today she was sitting beside me on the couch when she lifted my shirt up and started "nursing" on my stomach. When I pulled my shirt down, she started crying and banging her head against my chest while also lifting my shirt.

I don't really have a plan for weaning her. I guess I figured it would be like it was with the other boys. I'd decide I was ready to stop and stop. I had thought the other week that I might want to nurse her through the winter to hopefully help her avoid colds and such. But now I'm not sure. I don't know that I want to continue on and have it become a big fight. But I'm not necessarily ready, either.

So... something new for me to experience. Lovely.

No comments: