Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Double Ack.

So yesterday I picked Reid up from football practice and asked if he had heard how Jesse (the boy who got injured) was doing. Reid said that Jesse was still in the hospital with broken ribs, a cut spleen, and a bruised kidney. I pulled the car over and went in to get Jesse's parent's number from the coaches. Good grief. I knew I needed to do something for them.

So I called the number today and talked to Jesse's dad. He said that Jesse was still in ICU and that he wasn't allowed to move at all because of the danger with his spleen. They're trying to keep it immobile so that it can heal. They're trying to avoid surgery and removing the spleen. Then he said, "But they let him start eating today." How do you respond to those things? And then he says, "It was really great of you to call. You really didn't need to worry." Didn't I? I know it's part of football, but my kid just put your kid in the hospital for four or five days... I think I'm required to call!

I asked if it was okay if we take a gift basket to Jesse and he said of course. They are supposed to be moving him to a regular room tonight or tomorrow. So we might get to visit with him a bit. Hopefully he's out of the woods surgery wise and may even get to come home on Saturday or Sunday. I certainly hope so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW, keep me posted. I am glad you did call, and you know the parents do understand the risk of playing football. Tell Reid I love him and know he is okay. I also know what a tender heart he has and love him even more for that feature.