Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Losing My Mind

Yesterday was activity night at church. Reid and Zach (who's now in the young men's program) needed to be at church a little early to go on a service project. Since I didn't make dinner, Mike sent me with Reid and Zach and asked me to just stop at Wendy's and get them something they could eat on the way to church. He stayed behind and made some food for Jacob and Cole since they didn't have to be there until a little later.

So I get to Wendy's, drive up to the drive thru, and place my very specific order:

For Reid: A Gourmet Mushroom Swiss Burger Combo with a Vanilla Frosty. Can I have American Cheese instead of Swiss, please? 'No problem.' Thanks.

For Zach: A Baconator Combo with a Chocolate Frosty. (Hey, no modifications... go Zach.)

For Me: A #1 Combo. No onion, no pickles. 'Would you like cheese with that?' Well, yes, I'd LIKE it, but I don't want it on there. (Okay, I didn't say that, but I wanted to.) No. 'What to drink?' Sprite.

'That will be $19.21, please drive to the first window.'

I pull up, then realize that I don't have my purse. How could I not have my purse??? I tell the lady, "I'm soooo sorry. I don't have my purse!" She starts yelling, "CANCEL ORDER! CANCEL ORDER!"

So I pull away... what do I do? I ask the kids if they will starve if they don't eat until after the... "YES!", Zach interrupts.

Then I pause... and realize to my horror... my purse is right there. Right where it always is... why didn't I see it? Why was I so quick to assume it wasn't there?

So now what do I do? I tell the kids that I don't want to bother the Wendy's people any more and that we'll find somewhere else to get food. They fuss a little and I keep saying I don't want to bother the people again.

Then Reid, who likes Wendy's and almost nothing else, and who is a very reasonable and mature kid, says, "Mom. It's okay. Just go back and reorder."

Taken back by his directness and calmness, I obeyed. We parked, went in and I said, "Hi, I just went through the drive thru and cancelled the order because I didn't have my purse... well, it turns out I had it." 'Okay. No problem. Happens all the time.'

Really? Okay. Thanks. And thanks, Reid, for helping your poor mother out. :)

No comments: