Search This Blog

Friday, October 3, 2008

I do have other children...

So I've realized that lately, all of my posts have been about my oldest and my upcoming youngest. There are other children scattered about in our family, so I thought I'd give them some much overdue blog time.

Zach:

Zach has been doing pretty well in middle school so far. He and I have that quiet time together, before Jacob and Cole get home from school (Reid is at football practice), so that's been nice. I can focus on Zach and help him with his homework.

He's also adjusted fairly well to our move. The first day we were here, he saw a group of boys out playing and just ran right out and became part of that group. We haven't seen those boys since, but it was nice to see him just jump right into a new situation.

And he still is the one who keeps me on my toes. I drive him and Reid to their bus stop most mornings and we chat while we wait for the bus. Zach always has interesting bits of conversation to contribute. I think if it were just Reid and I, we might sit fairly silently (which would be fine, of course), but Zach just brings a little zing into the morning: "If you had $10 million dollars and the biggest house in Preston, what would you do?" (Preston is the golf community that we live on the tail end of... very, very posh and fancy... come over and I'll drive you through the streets with the huge houses that back up to the golf course.) Every day is a little adventure with Zach. Some days good, some days not so good, but it sure is nice to have him in our family.

Jacob:

Jacob has become a reading machine lately. He flew through a series by Rick Riordan called Percy and the Olympians. Then just before we moved into the apartment, we convinced him to start reading the Harry Potter books. He's reading the third one now. It's exciting to think of him enjoying far off worlds and what books he'll decide to read next. He did reject something that I brought home from the library in between the two series, so I don't know that he's become the kind of person who reads anything anytime, but he is definitely finding some joy in reading and that makes me happy. It makes his dad really happy. :)

Cole:

Cole is, well, Cole. Happy and full of life. The past few months, our cat, Kory, has taken to Cole and will cry at him for what I call "Coley Love". Cole will pet him and rub foreheads with him and then the cat is usually happy to go off and do whatever. But for whatever reason, he needed his Coley Love. :) I told Cole I knew how the cat felt. It just seems unnatural to walk by Cole without stopping to get a hug or something. He's just so cute. :)

No comments: