Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Girl Who Ate

First:  Tragedy Update:  We're still waiting for the truck to come back from the commercial renter.  Mike said he's sure he put the stick in there, so I didn't bother the people in our rental house in Austin.  We haven't called the place where we dropped the truck off... I guess I'm figuring that if they found it, they wouldn't have saved it... I should call...

Okay.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Kira is a eating fool.  She has three meals a day and a few little cracker snacks in between.  The other day I made her a grilled cheese sandwich.  Oh yes.  A grilled cheese sandwich.  She refuses to eat baby food unless the circumstances are perfect and all the planets have lined up just right.  I got her to eat a jar of food at church the other day, and all the moons must have been lined up right, too, because she didn't make a mess of it.  Usually the baby food feedings are also a huge mess because she insists on grabbing the spoon and feeding herself.

So... back to the grilled cheese.  This was lunch and I made her the grilled cheese.  I started cutting it up and she started eating it.  I also had some canned pears in the fridge (she loves those), so I cut up one of the pear halves.  She ended up eating the pear half (not uncommon) and a quarter of a grilled cheese sandwich.  Does that seem like a lot to you?  It did to me.  Or maybe it's that I was feeding my 9 month old a grilled cheese.  I don't think I've ever done that before.  I think all the boys were still happily eating jarred baby food by this age.  But not her.  She wants all finger food, all the time.

Actually... I think Reid's diet at 9 months consisted mostly of animal crackers...  I hated that time with him.  Animal crackers haven't been introduced to Kira.  No Goldfish either.  She gets the little Gerber puffs.  They're expensive, but aren't too sweet or too salty.

So I guess it's not entirely odd to feed her a grilled cheese.  I'm mostly trying to keep her diet interesting and (mostly) healthy.

And did I tell you that she weighed just over 18lb at her 9 month check up?  They say she's about 40th percentile for weight and height.  I say she's perfect and extremely cute.  :)

2 comments:

the Provident Woman said...

My kids have always been pigs and I fear always will be. The other day my daughter at an adult size helping of chili for lunch and then asked for waffles. She then ate two waffles.

Laura Soto said...

As long as she is eating healthy food, don't stress. She will eat what she needs to grow.

She looks darling and seems happy, keep up the good work.