Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2009

I like having a baby

Yesterday Kira and I went to a few stores to take care of some shopping that we needed to do. It amazes me how happy she tends to be through everything. Yesterday we started at the library. I decided that since it was a quick trip in and out, I would just carry her and not put her in the Ergo. I don't actually carry her around much just in my arms, so it was fun for both of us, I think. She was the picture of cuteness in a new outfit and I was the proud momma. :)


Then we headed over to Target and she was happy (and snug) as a bug in a rug in the Ergo while I shopped. She likes looking at all the people and things that are going on. We then went over to Sam's. It's always an interesting shopping adventure there with Kira in the Ergo. Mainly because I still carry her on my front in the Ergo, so when I go to get things like a pack of 32 water bottles, or the 5 gallons of milk, I use muscles that aren't very developed because I can't pull those things in close to my body. Getting them out of the buggy for checkout is even more tricky. Soon enough, though, she'll be big enough that I have to put her on my back and then it won't be nearly as difficult.

When we got out to the car after shopping at Sam's, I could see that she needed some time to just hang out, so I sat in the middle row seat with her while she stood in my lap and watched the cars, people, birds, and trees. It was lots of fun just sitting with her watching her absorb her world. Then she started fussing a little, so I nursed her, put her in her car seat, and headed home. I technically had one more stop to make, but I didn't want to push her and the things from that store weren't urgent. She was asleep by the time I got home and slept for two hours.

The thing that struck me yesterday was how grateful I am to my Heavenly Father for knowing that I could handle this little baby. I wasn't always sure I was going to be okay with having to do things like shopping with a baby. But I have found myself completely fine with all the adjustments that I need to make to accommodate her. There may be times that don't work out as well as yesterday did, or when that last store isn't an option to skip, but I like knowing that my heart has been stretched and my rigid thinking has been softened.

Just like a couple of weeks ago at Sea World. I didn't ride the roller coaster 5 times like Mike and the boys. I rode it once. The rest of the time I was holding Kira. I used to think that it would bother me to be tied down to a baby. But I just didn't care about that ride. I was happy to take care of Kira. To do things that she enjoyed. We went and watched the Sea Lion show. Something I wouldn't have done otherwise.

I will admit that I still see toddlers running around in stores, possibly screaming, and I think, "I hope I can handle that." But I know I will. Hopefully with patience and grace. It helps that I have so much time to devote to this little person. To enjoy her personality. Like how she was trying to look around the camera to see me when I got this picture. :)

(And look at her sweet little hand. I love baby knuckles!)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

you can practice on my toddler any time you want :)

Tammy and Alvin said...

Hey Joyce!
I saw your comment on our blog and came over to check out your blog. Then I scrolled through the posts until I found a picture of Kira. What a beautiful girl! Sounds like things are going well for you all. It's good to catch up a little.

Tammy