Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tom Jones

That's my granddad. He died yesterday. He was a really great guy. His life wasn't easy. He was in charge of running the family farm as a young teenager. Then he went to the war. He was a gunner in a B29 (?). I'm not 100% sure of the type of plane he rode in. But they ran missions over Japan and that area every other day. He said he was never in any danger of being shot down because his plane flew so high, but it was still highly stressful. After the war, he married my grandmother, Jo, who I have the privilege of being named after. They had five sons together before she died at the much too young age of 39. That was almost 47 years ago.

So when I think of him now, I think of the reunion between two lovers separated for much too long. I know he's happy. He will be missed, but I know he's glad to be able to rest and enjoy the company of those gone before him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your Paw Paw loved you very much. He was so proud, but sad, when your dad and I told him your name. He saw you become a fine person and I know he was more proud of your being truly Jo's name sake. I also know that if he understood, he was very more proud when Kira was born. As Aunt Adean said, Jo had a hand in that little girl getting here!

I love you!
Mom