Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Electricity: Good

Yesterday around 5pm, with some minor storm rumblings still miles away, our power went out. It seemed a bit weird given that there was no lightening to be seen and the thunder was obviously far away. And even weirder when I noticed that the neighbor caddy corner from us still had power.

I was just grateful that I had decided to cook dinner a bit early and it had been done for about 10 or 15 minutes by the time the power went out.

After a while, some of the neighbors down the street from us got their power back. Later, we saw some of the power company trucks driving back and forth and back and forth... hmmmm, that didn't seem good.

Turns out that by around 7 or 8pm, there were only 7 houses without power. (Aren't we lucky?) Us and Derrick (next door to us) on our street and the other five were in the culdesac across the street.

Well... time went on and more and more power people were in the neighborhood. We saw three guys walking down the street, then up again and one of them was telling his dispatcher person to cancel the order... they needed more cable than they had, or something... Mike decided to set up the tent in the front yard since it was cooler outside and since it seemed fairly clear that the fix wasn't going to be happening any time too soon.

So, the tent went up with the help of a bored, powerless neighbor who had too much coffee earlier in the evening. :) And the kids went to sleep in there. I slept in my bed (easier to sleep hot than 31 weeks pregnant on the ground!). The power company people were out in the culdesac working on whatever was wrong until about 6:30 this morning. The power came on at 5:30am. I told Mike last night that I would have taken them something during the night, but I didn't have any power to fix anything!

So we're back to normal today. It was a little adventure that hopefully won't happen again too soon. Although it was nice to see the kids playing outside for an extended time rather than trying to beat the Zelda game they've been working on for a couple of weeks!

And as for me, I've been revisited by the early pregnancy nausea. I ate a banana at church yesterday and thought I was going to puke a few minutes later. And today I got hungry, but felt too sick to eat. I had to force myself once I started getting shaky. So... looks like lots of fun from here on out. Only two more months. Seems like both forever and right around the corner...

No comments: