Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hurt Me, Rhonda

Last week I went to our local massage school for a massage. I have been having a lot of back/shoulder/neck pain recently that I know has been caused by large knots in my muscles.

The massage school has interns ($30/hr), advanced students ($40/hr), and instructors ($50/hr). I got an intern. A few times during her massage, it almost tickled. I will admit that she did relax me, but it did NOTHING for my back issues. So as I was leaving, I said to the woman who runs the school (and works the front desk), "Yeah, that was okay, but I need someone who will dig into my back." She said, "Come see Gabrielle next week." So yesterday I saw Gabrielle. She's also an intern, but oh my. She put a world of hurt on me. And those knots in my back/neck/shoulders? They are huge and plentiful. And extremely painful. The biggest ones are under my shoulder blades right in the middle.

I actually was brought to tears during the massage. It hurt so bad. But I knew it needed to.

I'm going back next week, too. These knots are going to take a while to work out. I hate spending the money on it, but it's at the point where it's causing me not to sleep well and I'm uncomfortable most days. And a few days ago I had pain shooting down my right arm. I wasn't sure what that was from, but during the massage, she hit a spot on my largest knot (which is at the right shoulder blade) and a huge shot of pain ran down my right arm. So at least I know it's all related.

I'm going to ask her to take it just a tad bit easier on me next week. I'm so sore from the massage that I can hardly sit here and type. My head has been pounding since the massage, too. And my nose is running. They say toxins from your muscles get released during a massage and I now believe that fully. I feel like crap.

But it's a good thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand. I had a massage with my pinched nerve in my shoulder. Tear do fall. Drink lots and lots of water to flush them out and after a couple more messages you will find a hugh difference. (A lot cheaper and let time than a doctor.) Love you!!!!

Diana said...

You might want to use massage in combination with a chiropractor. The nasty "trigger points" are the symptom. Spinal alignment issues might be the cause. Usually chiropractic visits come in multiples too, but your insurance might cover them.